tlug: Re: the Japanese word processor in Turbo Linux

From: Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
>Subject: Re: tlug: A Japanese using Linux in the U.S. needs help.

>I've never tried LyX with Japanese.   I think there is a
>commercial Japanese word processor in Turbo Linux Pro.

There is, it's called DP Note.  A 10-minute demo version also comes with the
standard Turbo Linux-J.  I've seen it, and while they call it a word
processor, I think that's stretching things a bit.  Kind of like calling a
pocket knife a chain saw :-)  Seriously, though, it reminds me of a Japanese
text editor that was written for DOS way back when and produced by a company
in Canada (I can't remember the name of the product or company any more) in
it's feel.  Functionality wise, it seems to deliver about the same power
level of something like Word Pad, that comes with Windows 95.  That is, it
can do basic functions like left and right justify and centering, and if I
remember correctly, it will do bold, underscore, and italics (I don't
promise I remember correctly, though).  In other words, if all you need is
basic word processor functionality, it will probably suffice.  If you need
the power of a full-blown word processor, it won't.

Within it's niche, it seems like a decent product.  The only criticisms I
can make of it are 1) The menus take a bit of hunting at first, since they
seem pretty different than mainstream word processors for MacOS, Windows,
OS/2, and 2) The price.  If you buy it standalone.  This is a biggie, since
it was nearly 10,000 yen.  For that price, I expect something a lot closer
to a full-blown word processor.  For 11,000 you get ApplixWare.  Doesn't
make DP Note look so great in comparison.  Of course, I don't think
ApplixWare does Japanese (does it?), so if you want a Japanese word
processor for Linux and they have the only one, they can sort of charge what
the traffic will bear.  In my case, it wouldn't bear that much, though.

If you want both DP Note and WNN6, Turbo Linux Pro-J may be the way to go
for people who don't already have a Linux system up and running.  pricey at
first, but it comes with stuff.  Oh, it also includes Netscape too, so you
don't have to go out and FTP it or get it with Lynx, another time/trouble
saving feature for those new to Linux.

Jonathan

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.