Re: tlug: Sparc/Linux: 72-pin SIMMs and cutting edge kernels

> explain in advance: the Tsukuba-dai accounting office keeps extremely
> strict control over choice of vendor.  They chose a new vendor for the
> second round.  I think it's because both the faculty and the
> accountants are extremely dishonest (by US standards, anyway; I know

Good grief. But it reminds me, have you seen any "jidaigeki"? In my
opinion things haven't really changed since the Edo period.

> that some Japanese think that Americans are congenital liars, despite
> their offensive frankness), and the accountants, being Monbusho

Actually most cases can be tracked down to just both sides
misunderstanding each other.

> jimu-kan, have the power to set things up so that they get the
> kickbacks rather than the faculty.  My belief is that at most private
> and former imperial universities, the faculty get the kickbacks.  I
> know this is at least partly true from stories I have heard about
> Christmas "bonuses in kind" from textbook sellers and computer dealers
> from faculty at Kobe-dai and Todai.  Tsukuba-dai has the disdvantage
> of being a Monbusho creature from the very beginning, so the jimu-kan
> have the power.

Hmm. This lab must be lucky. We buy from wherever we want.

Better luck next time.

Hajime Saito
TLUG Thursday evening meeting: Nov. 13, 18:40 at Tokyo station
Starbuck's coffee.  Then move to dinner place at 19:00
info: demian@example.com | TLUG Saturday meeting is Dec. 13, 1997
a word from the sponsor: