Re: tutor wanted

> I am also in Nakahara-ku, and I work on Sparc stations a lot.  Although I
> don't
> have too much spare time, I can help you with the kernel compiles.  I have a
> couple of Linux machines and Sun IPX /Sparc2's at home -mostly in pieces
> right now, since I've been working on an e-mail system at work and haven't
> had time to fix them up.

> Anyways, give me a call

Say, when Joe goes over to Anil's place, let me know.  We're getting
a Sun Ultra in the office and I wouldn't might watching what happens
to Anil's setup.

While on the subject of Suns, does anyone know where I can get
a used Sun workstation?

Since I'm online, let me just share my experience with debian-jp.
It is awesome.  I've installed canna-mule and it was extremely
easy.  The modular package approach makes it easy to install and
uninstall pieces.  This was a problem for me with Slackware and JE.
I found that JE overwrote a lot stuff I didn't want to see overwritten.
I'm still not that happy with dselect and dpkg.  In some ways
I see the advantages of RedHat's rpm and graphical package management
system.  What I want to be able to do on Debian is use a graphic
tool like dselect to tell me what I have on the my system and if that
package is a Japanese version or not.  Then I want to look at
packages both on my hard disk and on an FTP site and look at
the dependencies without installing the package.  Then I want to
see where the files would get installed.  Then, I want to see
the configuration that would take place if I installed it.
I would also like the package utility to warn me about
uprading packages that would cause Japanese programs to
break.  All this should be possible with dpkg and dselect...
I think....  The interface is a bit obtuse though.

Canna-mule input is different than Wnn-mule.  Which makes me
confused as to what the difference is between the Front End
Processor and the Japanese Input Method.  I thought that
Wnn and Canna were just different ways to combine the kana into
kanji using dictionary sets.  Wnn comes with uum as the FEP.
I thought that Wnn-mule used Mule's FEP.  However, the input
method is different with Canna-mule.

For example in wnn-mule Japanese input is started with C-\ In
canna-mule it is started with C-o.  To convert to katakana
in wnn-mule you type M-k.  In canna-mule you toggle through
katakana, hiragana, zenkaku, and hankaku with C-n and C-p while
in the fences.

I can understand that kinput2 is just a FEP and that the input
is the same whether it is jvim or mule.  I thought that the
difference between Wnn and canna would be in how it parsed
ascii like watashinonamaehatanakayoshiodesu.

Can anyone shed light on this matter?  I'm about to switch from
Wnn to canna as my main system.

Regards,
Craig