Re: IP spoofing

anil> I find the topic of IP spoofing much more interesting.
anil> Does anyone have
anil> experience in this area?
anil> Anyone out there read TakeDown (Tsutomo Shimamura)?

I found the book by Tsutomo pretty interesting.  I actually
got to meet the guy and hear his talk at INET '95.   Linux
is excellent as a hackers toolkit since the source code
for the kernel as well as common net admin tools are
all there.  If you read the Addison-Wesley series on TCP/IP
Illustrated you can get a good idea of how spoofing works.
If you get into security concepts, you can check out SATAN
and read the "Improving System Security by Hacking into Your
Own System  (or something like that)"

If you want to play with the stuff just get two Linux boxes
and connect them with ethernet or a serial cable.  They can
be really old 386 machines since the process load is pretty
small for most tests.  Run tcpdump and then start playing
with packets.  This is a pretty time consuming hobby.  Though
it is nice to get more information about the security of
your personal Linux box just for the intellectual challenge.
If you really get into it, you can follow CERT for Linux and
try to hack into your box using the security report as a hint
to how to recreate the attack.

Regards,
Craig