Two new Japanese guides to Linux

  Hi all,

  Just happened to see in the store yesterday two new Japanese guides to
Linux which might be of interest to some of you.  They're both from
Toppan (トッパン ) and were published on October 30.

  1. LINUX 入門 (nyuumon) is about an inch thick (some 500 - 600 pages)
  and includes two CDROMs with Slackware 3.1 and all the Japanese stuff.
Unlike so many Japanese computer books this one seems to have been written
by and for adults and includes a proper index.  What attracted me was the
80 page section on Tex-Latex-Jtex, which looked like it would be extremely
helpful for someone trying to get this set up.  One of the two CDs also
includes a section of Tex fonts, though just what is there I don't know.
At Y4800 it ain't cheap, but there's value for the money.  I think I'll
be doing some extended 'tachiyomi' (with notetaking) over the weekend
on that Tex section.

  2. LINUX インストールキット (instoorukitto) is a 200 page stripped down
version of (1).  Has the same two CDs and very full instructions on
installation and setup, but without the extensive chapters on Unix itself,
the shell, Mule, Tex, and so on.  It's Y2200.

  I think there's also a third LINUX book published at the same time
on Networking.  It wasn't available yet at the shop I saw these in though.
Anyway, these are a welcome addition to the very few (mostly thoroughly
mediocre) Linux books in Japanese.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka