Agent spoofing

  Hi,

  Following up on some info in Brad Glosserman's Cyberia column in
last Wednesday's Japan Times, I found it was quite easy to set up
agent spoofing using Mosaic2.7b4.  There's actually an AgentSpoofing
option, which I had never really noticed, on the Options menu.  If you
have a file called:   $HOME/.mosaic-spoof-agents
with a line like:   2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.01; Windows 95)
in it, you can choose it from the menu, masquerade as a Microsoup
Internut Exploitee, and get your free-to-MSIE-users-only (yes we live
in sad times indeed!) subscription to, exemplia gratia  (pardon the
pun), the Wall Street Journal electronic edition. Free for the rest of
the year anyway.  Up your nose, Bill!

  This is the easy part.  Do any of you have a spoofing hack for
Netscape 3.0?  There's no easy route such as Mosaic offers, and it's
not clear to me where the self-awareness resides in the executable.
'strings' only reveals a plethora of possibilities...

  You can file this one under: Utterly Silly Ways to Waste a Lovely
Sunday morning, which it sure is down here in old Hakata.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka