Re: Japanese language email problem (cont'd)

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> (1) He also had a "Pine" message-ID; I don't think he *can* change his
>     Content-Type header.

  As a matter of fact, following Kazuko's advice, I just did.  Pine
under Unix provides for system-wide configuration which can also be
overridden by individual users' ~/.pinerc files.  Surprisingly, Pine
now labels my messages "us-ascii" when there's no kanji in them, and
iso-2022-jp when there is.  Pretty clever.  Unfortunately, I can't
verify whether this solves the immediate problem or not, because my
correspondent is not available today.

> (2) The "US-ASCII" is wrong, of course.  But ISO-2022-JP is also
> wrong!!  His message was in Shift-JIS, and he apparently also uses
> EUC, but mostly not JIS (== ISO-2022-JP).  So if he adds a tag saying
> that it's ISO-2022-JP, he's encouraging mail user agents (MUAs) and
> maybe mail transport agents (MTAs) to error-correct the content to
> 7-bit JIS!

  I'm afraid I have been unwittingly using a variety of encodings up
to now.  It seems that I am now exclusively outputting New-JIS by
default - at least, this is what jconv -c tells me.  Please correct me
if I'm wrong.  The following three lines should all be in New-JIS:

  $B$3$l$,(BNew-JIS$B$N$O$:$@!#`*rJ!#rJG7Bg!$ITCNB6Q\@example.com$Li!#(B

(If the last of these lines is unreadable, don't blame me,
blame Zhuang Zi ;-)

  Steve Turnbull also remarked:

	Despite my earlier comments about standards (in response to
	Kazuyuki "ikko-" Okamoto), unless you are willing to switch
	your mail software (and check the new program for
	compliance) "ikko-" is probably right that you should just
	default to "Content-type: text/plain; charset=ISO-2022-JP".
	You may be able to do this in Pine via [S]etup
	[C]onfiguration [customized-hdrs]; unfortunately it seems
	that Pine will add its own conflicting Content-Type header.
	It's not obvious how to disable this, if it's at all
	possible.  (pine.conf and .pinerc simply seem to be
	config-file interfaces to the same functionality).  You may
	also want to set [S][C][default-composer-hdrs] to
	automatically display it.  You can always access it via C-R
	"Rich Headers" in the composer.

  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue here, but, now that I've
configured it correctly, the version of Pine I'm using uses the
Japanese in the text, and "Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII"
when there isn't.  Shouldn't this be OK?

  By the way, Steve, I thought http://130.158.99.4/gadgets/gaijin.gif
was pretty cute!  Cheers.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka