scsi drives no longer detected

Hi all,

Wish I could have gone to the last meeting. One of these days....

After having a great weekend I decided to get back to Linux and the web
server problems. I re-read the hoohoo docs about NCSA httpd and in
particular the FAQ which says that their httpd may not work with some Linux
kernels. They said that httpd was patched for kernel 1.2.13 so as a test I
tried to compile it but I can't seem to get the new kernel to recognize my
scsi drives.

Right now I'm using kernel 1.3.20 as I haven't upgraded all the files the
victims page says you need for 2.0. This is the part of the messages log
that shows what 'works':

-snip-
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: aha152x: porttest: ok, auto configuration:
ok, detection complete
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: aha152x: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340,
IRQ=11, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=disabled
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
$Revision: 1.9 $
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel:   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL1080S
Rev: 1Q09
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0,
id 0, lun 0
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel:   Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: CD-ROM CR-503BCQ
Rev: 1.1c
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel
0, id 5, lun 0
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 1 SCSI disk total.
Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: SCSI Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on
device sda
-snip-

When I try booting the new 1.2.13 (and yes I've recompiled several times
trying different Adaptec drivers, and read the README, and removed the old
include links and relinked, done the rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/sda1 since I'm
trying to get it to boot off a floppy, in the Makefile tried ROOT_DEV =
CURRENT to /dev/sda1 - I even tried building a kernel with EVERY scsi
driver) it always gets to:

FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
scsi : 0 hosts
scsi : detected total.

goes on to load PPP, SLIP etc and, of course, panics when it can't find the
CD drive or sda1. As a reminder, this is my peanut brittle SCSI drive
chained to the SB 16 card.

I successfully compiled the 1.3.20 kernel so I know this can be done given
my current setup. (The problem is I drank so much beer after the 'success' I
forgot to write down how I did it - all you lurking newbies [yes, I know
you're there:-)] take notes!)

A question for you hardware jockies: can I detach the original IDE 200MB
drive (which now only has a backup Linux filesystem) and connect the scsi
drive directly to the motherboard? I'm way out of my depth here.

Ever deeper in your debt....

Jim S.