Re: scsi drives no longer detected

In article <199609291440.XAA22132@example.com>,
schweiz@example.com (Jim Schweizer) wrote:

>When I try booting the new 1.2.13 (and yes I've recompiled several times
>
>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
>scsi : 0 hosts
>scsi : detected total.

The implementation on the SB16 is a bog standard 1520, but without the
boot ROM.  I think we have discussed this issue before on the TLUG list.
The 152x driver looks for some signatures in the ROM to avoid "probing"
an address that might not actually be an Adaptec controller.  Since your
card is ROMless, this test will fail.

I suggest you try pointing the driver directly at your card.  If you
are booting with LILO, that might be done with a line similar to:
  linux ah152x=0x340,11
where 0x340 and 11 are adjusted as necessary for the way you have jumpered
the IOPORT and interrupt configuration of your board.  Once you find the
working incantation, add it to your lilo.conf append= line so that it
becomes transparent.

>A question for you hardware jockies: can I detach the original IDE 200MB
>drive (which now only has a backup Linux filesystem) and connect the scsi
>drive directly to the motherboard? I'm way out of my depth here.

Only if you had a SCSI controller of some sort on your motherboard, which
does NOT appear to be the case.

Jim

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  <URL:http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/>