Re: Problems compiling Tkdesk

    Dennis>   A very nice-sounding file manager has just recently been
    Dennis> announced from Germany.  Check the website at:
    Dennis> http://sun1.rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de/~zzhibol/tkdesk
    Dennis>   Although it will apparently run on other systems this
    Dennis> has been developed as a contribution to Linux.  It sounds
    Dennis> like something we could all use.

    Dennis>   The hitch is that it won't seem to compile on my system,
    Dennis> and the failure appears to due to the code itself in one
    Dennis> of the modules (the sort of problem you'd expect to have
    Dennis> disappeared long before any public release).  I get four
    Dennis> or five screensful of error messages that begin like this:

    Dennis> gcc -O2 -I/usr/include/tcl        -I/usr/include/tcl   \
    Dennis>     -I/usr/X11R6/include   -c tixImgXpm.c -o tixImgXpm.o
    Dennis> tixImgXpm.c:78: parse error before `Tk_ImageMaster'
    Dennis> tixImgXpm.c:78: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
    Dennis> tixImgXpm.c:82: parse error before `imageCmd'
    Dennis> tixImgXpm.c:82: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    Dennis> tixImgXpm.c:107: parse error before `}'
    Dennis> tixImgXpm.c:107: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    Dennis> tixImgXpm.c:131: parse error before `PixmapMaster'

X is a really incredibly strange beast in the code.  There are all
kinds of nonsyntactic macros used in some of the header files.
"Nonsyntactic" means that they do things like put semicolons inside
the macro so one isn't needed outside the macro.  If that macro isn't
defined for some reason ... splat!  This is exactly the kind of error
you get.

This kind of thing (missing macro definitions) can happen if your
header files are different from theirs.  This can happen in the
XFree86 patches, in the X11R6 headers, in the Tk/Tcl headers, or in
the Linux headers.

Another hypothesis is a munged tar file.

Have you tried just putting a semicolon in?

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi