mtools for NEC-formatted floppy disks?

Hello from Bonn.

A friend of mine in the Math department was asked by a Japanese
visitor to help him read his data from a floppy he had used with a NEC
PC (I think the format was something like 1.2).
My friend uses Linux and wondered whether there was anything like a
Japanese addition to mtools for this purpose.

I currently haven't got the time to go through Japanese archives (bad
connections etc.) to look for it, so please excuse me for bothering you
with this question.

Regards,

Irene

Irene Langner, Japanese Studies, Bonn University