                features they do not.
Author:         rvm@example.com (Rainer Mager)
Maintained-by:  rvm@example.com (Rainer Mager)
Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/system/Status
                OmniMoni-1.0.tar.gz
Alternate-site: shrine.cyber.ad.jp/pub/archives/users/rvm
                OmniMoni-1.0.tar.gz
Platform:       any Unix with a Tcl/Tk interpreter installed
Copying-policy: GPL
End

What is OmniMoni
----------------

OmniMoni is a highly configurable, realtime, information monitoring
system.  It is written in Tcl/Tk and therefore requires a Tcl/Tk
interpreter, usually wish.  It purpose is to display periodically
updating textual messages in a user configurable format within a X
window.  The unique idea behind OmniMoni is in two parts:

1.  You tell OmniMoni exactly what information to monitor.  This
provides almost infinite flexibility for anyone's needs.

2.  OmniMoni can monitor that information in two main ways.  As text,
formatted as desired in a window, or as a graph, solid or lined.

These two ideas will allow you to monitor almost anything you want to,
in the way you want to.  The only catch is that the information must
be gathered from some program that produces textual output.
Fortunately, on UNIX type systems, there are many, many such programs.
Additionally, using other programs such as perl, awk, and others, you
can create a program to return what you want very easily.  Then
OmniMoni can take the output from this new program and monitor it.

Regarding the version number.  This is version 1.0 and is not a beta
release.  It has undergone a good bit of testing, but most of it has
been at my own hands and not as thorough as I would have liked.
Although I can not promise that it is bug free, I believe that it is
stable and very useable.  I will also actively work to correct any
bugs that do come up, so please report them to me.

Getting Started
---------------

Since OmniMoni is written in Tcl/Tk it requires a Tcl/Tk interpreter.
The most common one is called wish.  It comes with the Tcl/Tk package
which is available from at the official Tcl/Tk site
ftp:://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/ucb.tcl.

There are many sites that carry this package, though, so you might
want to find one close to you.

Once you have wish installed correctly on you system you should only
need to type "./omnimoni -f omnirc" to get a glimpse of what OmniMoni
can do.  This runs OmniMoni with the configuration file "omnirc".
This configuration file derives a lot of information from the /proc
filesystem which is part of Linux (a Unix like OS for x86 machines).
It is my "working" configuration file.  This means it is more for my
testing things than for use.  It is, however, relatively complex, and
therefore interesting.  If you are running on another OS, I recommend
running "Demonstration".  This script will go through progressively
more complex configurations one at a time.  Most of these
configurations should work on a variety of operating systems.

For complete information on OmniMoni, especially regarding how to
create you own configuration files, read the man page and look at the
sample configuation files in the demos directory.  There is no other
documentation with the program since the man page is rather extensive.

Questions?  Comments!
---------------------

If you have any feedback you wish to give me, be it questions,
comments, suggestions, whatever, please email them to:

rvm@example.com

Also, if you have created any useful configuration files that you
think someone might like please email them to me and I will make them
publicly available and perhaps I'll use them in future demonstration
scripts.  This archive is at ftp://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~rvm/OmniMoni.

Legal Stuff
-----------

OmniMoni is a highly configurable, realtime, information monitoring
system.  OmniMoni, Copyright (C) 1995 Rainer Mager

the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
General Public License for more details.

Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

Appreciations

I would like to give my great thanks to everyong who has contributed
to this in any way.  This includes the generous people on
comp.lang.tcl who patiently responded to my questions, to the initial
pre-beta testers for struggling through the bugs, the public beta
testers for their comments and suggestions, the Linux community, and
everyone behind the Tcl/Tk effort.

FORE Systems Japan, Inc.			     3-1-4 Nishi-Shinjuku
Rainer Mager - Systems Engineer		     Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 Japan
TEL:  81-3-3346-2781		rvm@example.com	     FAX:  81-3-3346-2782