Re: [tlug] Connecting cameras as webcams

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 01:05:55PM +0200, Jens John wrote:
> Depends completely on the implementation. If they use USB properly
> and present themselves in a way that the generic v4l2 driver can
> handle, it'll be as simple as plugging it in and opening
> /dev/videoN in vlc or mpv [..]

Cameras which provide HDMI output might also be interesting
for you.  I played with 2 grabbers lately: one sits ontop of
a Raspi, the other one gets connected via USB2.
For ~3000円 these provide 720p@60Hz capturing, or 1080p
at lower frame rates.

> On Mon, 21 Sep 2020, at 12:16, Darren Cook wrote:
> >
> > [2]: http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

I did that research one or 2 years ago, I had in mind buying
a camera pointed out of the office window and shooting pictures
which could be used to create time lapse videos.

>From that list, the models which have decent features supported,
one would actually want to lookup in online stores, to find out
which of them are sold and at which price.

For my purposes, I ended up testing that timelape with my mobile:
took one picture per minute for a day or so.

Chris

Home | Main Index | Thread Index