[tlug] Connecting cameras as webcams

I'm currently looking at getting a new camera (for video tutorials,
amongst other things). Being able to use it as a high-quality webcam
would be a bonus. I saw this [1] saying a firmware update to this
Fujifilm model will support PC/Mac, and it got me wondering if this is
something like external hard disks, where if it works on a PC, it'll
work on Linux... or more like printers/scanners, where you can sometimes
be at the mercy of manufacturer's drivers.

If it was limited to Windows, is it likely to work in a VirtualBox
Windows guest? Using the USB options?

(I did find the gphoto2 list [2]; none of the exact models on my
shortlist are listed.)

Darren

[1]:
https://fujiaddict.com/2020/06/22/fujifilm-x-a7-and-x-t20-get-webcam-software-support-and-mac-support-coming-mid-july-2020/