Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 07:51, Curt J. Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

On 2020-08-28 02:16 +0200 (Fri), Matteo G wrote:

[...] meritocracy is just an illusion [...]

This describes most of the IT groups I've seen anywhere in the world.

Yup. "Meritocracy" is a dangerous lie. It means something like, "those who best conform to the ideal of greatness held by the bosses."

And why do you think that [Google] invented Go, which is truly a great language for the
1980s?

Oh shit! Sick burn! And totally totally 100% true.

Oh, I did once have to write a server that listened to UDP multicast on one network interface and exposed the packets on a TCP socket on another network interface, and that was like 20 lines of Go, so I guess that's an exception to the rule? ;)

The other thing I had to do with Go on that job was to write an MTP manifest server (some streaming video thingy), and the simple act of parsing JSON made me want to cry myself to sleep in the break room. I was soooooo glad to leave Go behind after I left that company.

Are you still Haskelling hard, Curt?

Cheers,
Josh

Home | Main Index | Thread Index