Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 02:22:48 +1800
- From: AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- References: <email@example.com>
I've accidentally removed partitioning from around a Linux installation... One option would be to tarball the whole setup with options for /dev and skipping a few fs locations such as /proc and /sys and unpacking it on a freshly built partition and formatted fs... but as it is Mint 19 ... it would be easier to just backup user data and re-install everything that is my limited suggestion. On 10/13/19, Thomas Blasejewicz <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > Good evening > In the hope everybody is safe so far! .. and we all make it through the > storm. > > I have a probably really stupid question. > On one of my "experimental machines" I have Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon > edition, installed in a 500 GB HDD WITHOUT partitions. > > IF I wanted to create a new 100GB partition, would it be possible to > just "copy" or "move" the file system to that new partition, > designate it somehow as "/" and keep the data in /home? > Or: newly install the OS in the created 100 GB partition and then delete > it is somehow from the resized data partition? > > Somehow I am hoping Linux has some slick tricks to do that. > If not ... it is not a problem or particularly important. > > Sorry for this! > Thomas > > -- > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, > please see the instructions at https://lists.tlug.jp/list.html >
- [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- From: Thomas Blasejewicz
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Previous by thread: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links