Re: [tlug] Kernel Panic has visited -

On 2018-06-07 12:34 +0900 (Thu), AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai wrote:

> Would this functionality be based on anything similar to mercurial or git ?

What functionality? (You quoted my entire message, so it's hard to see
exactly what you're talking about.)

If you're talking about dot-home, yes, one normally uses Git or other
VCS repos to store the dot-home modules and synchronize them between
computers, though it's not required.

> as I am looking at whether I need to write a python server script for
> mercurial project hosting.

That doesn't sound as if it's in any way related to the uses of
dot-home, and you really don't want to be writing your own servers for
that kind of hosting when there are already good (and more
importantly, secure) ones out there.

> I'm very tempted because of my own needs and not just for configs but also
> for source repositories.
> (where git is already a known failure for me personally,  due to OS options
> chosen.)

I'd be curious as to how you feel Git failed for you. I've used it
extensively on Linux, Windows and MacOS and haven't run in to any
issues beyond the sort that any VCS would have (symlinks,
case-collisions, etc.). It's just not available for AmigaOS and Hg is?

> as for backups...

As I said, don't think "backups." Think "disaster recovery." Once you
start doing that you'll probably find you don't have to back up nearly
as much stuff as you thought you did, and you'll also fix the areas
where you have useless backups.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974