Re: [tlug] Kernel Panic has visited -

On 2018-06-07 06:41 +0900 (Thu), CL wrote:

> ...I found that much weeping and lamentation disappeared when I gave
> up trying to be a code monkey, stuck in a brandy-new HDD, set up 9
> on that, installed my usual pile of standard programs, then replaced
> their config folders with the ones from my 8 HDD.

Right. Taken to the next level, this is thinking in terms of disaster
recovery rather than "backups."

And this is why you should own and regularly use multiple computers.
(I have seven different laptop and desktop machines I use on at least
an occasional basis, and 2-3 different ones are used daily or
near-daily.) Making this work will develop practices that get you to
the point where you'd hardly even notice if you lost a drive or
computer.

Plug for my own still-kinda-crap project to help with this: Dot-home
<https://github.com/dot-home/_dot-home>. This helps keep homedir
configuration files under version control, sync them between systems,
divide things into modules so that you don't have to put your more
sensitive configs on public hosts, and so on.

I use a large set of common homedir configuration files on pretty much
all hosts I log in to (I'd guess about 30 or so) and this has made my
life much, much easier. I make a fix to my vim configuration or shell
functions/aliases anywhere, and I have those changes anywhere else.

I should give a talk on this to TLUG one day. I also need to rewrite
the system in Python because Bash is just getting too creaky for it,
but who knows when I'll get around to that. (If anybody wants to
volunteer to help me, that would speed it up enormously.)

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.