[tlug] tlug-request@example.com

Stefan A. writes:

 > information on Linux compatibility for the brands available
 > in Japan (usually Buffalo, IO-Data, Pioneer).

I don't use the pocket-sized external hard drives, if that's what you
mean, and I've never had trouble finding 5-1/4" WD, Seagate, etc drives
here (Amazon carries a wide variety).

Pioneer CD drives and Buffalo optical drives (CD, DVD, BD) have always
worked fine with my Linux boxes.  However, I had occasional bad luck
writing DVDs with Buffalo drives on all OSes (could be media, though).
Don't have much experience with the Buffalo BRXL-16 BD drives yet, in
any writing mode or OS (just upgraded recently).

 > I was wondering if this is something one still needs to worry
 > about?

I wouldn't think so.  I'd be more worried about compatibility with the
media.