Re: [tlug] Running without Gnome/KDE/xfce/whatever. (was: Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input)

I run AfterStep on xorg. No underlying "desktop environment", just a raw
window manager.

On 2016-04-27 at 13:02:17 Curt Sampson wrote:
> Interesting. So how do you handle starting things like dbus (normally
> started by the sesion manager) that various applications need, and how
> do you handle display of things like input method and NetworkManager
> icons? Did you steal a button bar from some other environment?

I don't intentionally run dbus. But if i do a "ps ax" i can see that it
is running. So applications that need it must start it automatically.

Input method toolbar is started by my window manager:
    $ grep uim ~/.afterstep/autoexec
	Exec    "I"     /usr/bin/uim-toolbar-gtk &

NetworkManager is not installed on my system. My first encounters with
it some years ago was quite negative and so purging it is one of the
first things i do to new systems.

I have been following this thread a bit though; i've been thinking of
building a new machine at home and have been trying to decide if it is
time to reevaluate my Japanese IME. I currently use UIM and Anthy. There
are so many choices though that it is hard to know which one works the
best and has the brightest future. The last time i really set up the IME
was over a decade ago though, so off hand i'm having trouble remembering
what, exactly, each of the 2 things i use (UIM, Anthy) actually do and
why i needed 2 things instead of just 1. I'll have to read up on that
again and refamiliarize myself with how IME software works on Linux.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley  |  Server Engineer 2
Information Technology Services (ITS) | Drake University

T: +1 515 271-4540
F: +1 515 271-1938
E: daniel.ramaley@example.com