Re: [tlug] Running without Gnome/KDE/xfce/whatever. (was: Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 01:02:17PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2016-04-25 12:20 +0200 (Mon), Christian Horn wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 03:04:58PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> >
> > > Is that WindowMaker on Gnome, or WindowMaker on KDE, or....
> >
> > ..just xorg.
>
> Interesting. So how do you handle starting things like dbus (normally
> started by the sesion manager) that various applications need, and how
> do you handle display of things like input method and NetworkManager
> icons? Did you steal a button bar from some other environment?

With me, (I know you aren't asking me, but the question is relevant)....

On FreeBSD, I start dbus from /etc/rc.conf. I don't use NetworkManager,
but if I have it installed, there is some command to start a gui applet.
On a Mint install, for example, it seems most of this may be done by the
login manager, since once I see the login screen, even if I log into dwm,
my network is up and running.  Most commonly, I'm using CentOS, Fedora, or
FreeBSD though, and in all cases dbus is started with the sytem and I start
the network manually. As for conversion, I don't use it frequently, so
manually start and stop fcitx and can change back and forth with
keystrokes.

If I use openbox, I'm usually using either tint2 or LXpanel and those have
icons.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6