Re: [tlug] Running without Gnome/KDE/xfce/whatever. (was: Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input)

On 2016-04-28 13:06 +0200 (Thu), Attila Kinali wrote:

> For small companies it does not pay to be proactive. You cannot sell
> anything with "hey! we do it the right way!", because everyone else
> claims that too and they cost only half as much.

Even if the competition doesn't claim to do it the right way, my
experience has been that as a small systems consultant you get a *lot*
of pushback from clients who somehow feel that, though they don't
understand what you do, they can somehow figure out what they do and
don't need.

Revision control has been a huge barrier for me in some organizations.
If I can manage to roll out it out to the OLs and folks who can't even
use a spreadsheet, things go just fine. But all too frequently someone
with just a wee bit more tech. knowledge (sometimes even a lot more)
is usually spending more time trying to make sure that nobody in their
organization ever gets close to Git than they are trying to get actual
work done.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974