Re: [tlug] Running without Gnome/KDE/xfce/whatever. (was: Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:05:02 +0800
Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

> It was really disturbing since the client presumably pays the vendor
> for their domain knowledge.  And it wasn't just one company but every
> one we approached [*].  I didn't know that software development as a
> (small) business had become like this.
>
> I was almost embarrassed to be in the same profession as them.
>
> [*]  Yes, it could be a problem with the companies we were
> approaching.  We didn't have a lot of money so we could not approach
> large vendors -- only small/medium sized ones.

No, it's not a problem with the companies you've approached. It's
a wide spread problem. I've seen it too often myself. For small
companies it does not pay to be proactive. You cannot sell anything
with "hey! we do it the right way!", because everyone else claims
that too and they cost only half as much.

I even had to deal with that kind of attitude in the companies i worked
at as well. It's pretty hard to just overlook a glaring issue, because
it would cost too much to fix it and the company would make a loss if
I would sit down and do it the right way[tm]. At the same time you
cannot call the customer either, asking for more money, because you
did screw up in the design a couple of weeks/months ago.

At the same time, the very same company complained a lot about other
companies that weren't proactive and didnt fix stuff on their own....

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.