Re: [tlug] Running without Gnome/KDE/xfce/whatever. (was: Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input)

Just a /me too ;-)

WindowMaker on xorg (in Gentoo) here.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 01:02:17PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

>> > ..just xorg.
>>
>> Interesting. So how do you handle starting things like dbus (normally
>> started by the sesion manager) that various applications need, and how
>> do you handle display of things like input method and NetworkManager
>> icons? Did you steal a button bar from some other environment?
>
> I run dbus, it's not exclusively for graphical applications, to my
> understanding.

# rc-status |grep dbus
 dbus                                                              [  started  ]

# grep dbus .xinitrc
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session wmaker

> I don't use a button to remind me of the currently selected input
> method.  When switching to the next input method (via shift+space
> as per my settings), ibus shows me a list of all available
> methods - that is enough for me.

Using scim/anthy there is a floating toolbar, when Japanese is
selected. It shows input method.
Plus I don't need a reminder, I type and see what gets on the screen
and toggle if needed.

> I use the NetworkManager applet very rarely. nmcli is available
> for controlling NetworkManager.  On occasions when I want the
> applet, i.e. when wlans change from room to room on conferences,
> I start 'wmdocker' and then 'nm-applet'.

I did my best to nuke NetworkManager and related things, but for WiFi
it was hard.
My network is started from init.d scripts, if I need new WiFi, fire
`sudo wpa_supplicant` in terminal.

There is no automounting, autodimming, autoXXX; I am allergic to auto ;-)
I tell my machine what it has to do and it does it, no guessing
involved (well to some extent).

Cheers,
Kalin.