Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 16.04-LTS Japanese Text Input

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>> I did an English language install of Ubuntu 16.04-LTS (32-bit, as it's
>> a fairly low-spec machine) ...
>
> Branching off-topic, is "low-spec" a reason to not use 64-bit? The first
> page I looked at [1] suggests to only install the 32-bit version if your
> CPU is 32-bit (lscpu lists only "32-bit" under CPU op-mode).

Actually, there's some background to this.  I installed the 64-bit
version of 14.04-LTS on a box with 4GB of RAM and while it generally
worked well, it would get to something less than 2GB of RAM being used
and then start creating a large swap file (1GB, etc.) that rendered
the machine practically useless, as every action set the hard drive to
furiously working, making for long waits with a frozen screen.  This
condition would continue until the machine was re-booted....  With the
machine I picked up last week, it only has 2GB of RAM, so I went with
32-bit assuming (hoping) it wouldn't have the swap memory problem the
64-bit version of 14.04 had.

> Ah, the last comment on that page says if only 3GB of RAM then the
> 64-bit version was more sluggish, at least as of Ubuntu 13.04. (But if
> true, I'm still curious as to why.)

I don't know why, but I'm assuming that they're looking ahead and
beginning to assume that people installing the 64-bit version have 8GB
or more of RAM?

Lyle