Re: [tlug] Tokyo ISP Throttling? Why does my internet speed increase so much by setting up a proxy?

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>  > This is unrelated to anything I can control (since it's at work), but
>  > I was connecting to this USA site from work this week at 200 kb/s.  I
>  > can get 10 MB/s from home to the same USA site.  So I download the
>  > file and then I can send the file from home to work at 10 MB/s.
>
> Trans-Pacific bandwidth is expensive.  Here is one amusing link:
> http://www.cablemap.info/, and here's the one I was looking for:
> http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2014/10/internet-transatlantic-data-flows-meltzer/internet-transatlantic-data-flows-version-2.pdf
> (see map on about p. 6).  Despite population and GDP and exploding
> Internet usage, Asia connections to the U.S. still are only about 2/3
> of the Europe bandwidth.  (AFAIK Asia-Europe traffic still mostly goes
> via the U.S., too.)

That makes sense, though a bit disappointing to think that my
workplace (a university) would somehow limit bandwidth to a perfectly
work-related web site.  Of course, it could be a cost cutting measure
and I presume they didn't set up the rules just for me, but for other
staff and students.

I should probably look into whether my home connection and work
connection takes a different path to the USA...

In the end, not much I can do about it.  At least I know a way around
it by downloading data at home first...

Thanks for this and thanks for the links!  I played a bit with the
Cable Map but will look at the PDF a bit later.

Ray