Re: [tlug] Tokyo ISP Throttling? Why does my internet speed increase so much by setting up a proxy?

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 11:30:17PM +0900, Jawaad Mahmood wrote:
> Any ideas on how I could debug this or test this would be appreciated; I am
> legitimately curious (and strongly considering ending my service; really, last
> time I had a connection this bad, I was using Sympatico from Bell in Canada).

Use a tool like mtr to determine the route your packets are taking to their
destination and measure packet loss. Using a relais in a different network can
radically change where you hop to, and by proxy the quality of your connection.

That is, You->Cloud->Destination gets routed different from You->Destination,
resulting into a difference of connection quality.

I experience the same phenomenon when connecting to my servers in Europe:
Servers on some networks are "harder" to reach than others. Connections within
Japan are always fine, however.

Best regards,
Jens.