Re: [tlug] What is Code?

Nicolas Limare writes:

 > Why is it so difficult to explain programming to non-programmers?

Good question.  I'm the wrong person to ask, I'm a programmer
(wannabe, but I do think like one) who sometimes has to teach it with
a spectcular lack of success (there's a selection problem, but it
can't be *all* *their* fault, can it?)  I would start with Kahnemann
"Thinking Fast and Slow" and branch out from there to the references
therein.

In my experience, I think what is happening is that nonprogrammers
think associatively, not algorithmically, and easily get into infinite
loops where they return to the original, main idea and want to be
"done", rather than searching exhaustively for corner cases.  Such
"associative" thinking (also called "jumping to conclusions") is the
basis of expertise, which I define as "the art of making good
decisions with limited information under time pressure".  That's what
makes a good manager.

If I'm right, then it's pretty easy to understand why programmers and
managers don't mix very well.  They can't understand how the other
thinks, and so can't trust the conclusions.

 > > Paul Ford is not Tracy Kidder.
 >
 > I remember learning with pleasure about microcode in "The Soul of a
 > New Machine", and I was very happy seeing a Data General Eclipse
 > exposed in a university hall months later, but I never went beyond
 > page 200. OTOH, I didn't learn much about software in "What is Code",
 > but I read it all and it made me smile. YMMV?

Sure.  Living in Japan with a teenager I have learned to view making
fun of people with extreme distaste.  It's a good thing London Hearts
is only aired weekly or I'd have to sell the TV.  I admit I'm
excessively sensitive to it in contexts like "What Is Code".

But I have a more nuanced reason for bringing up Tracy Kidder here.
That is, I think that Kidder does a good job of painting realistic
pictures of up to 20 people involved in that project, or related to it
in the company.  Ford's imaginary people are caricatures ("TMitTB")
except for when they're not.  You and I can tell the difference
between when he's making fun of programmers or TMitTB, and when he's
dead serious.  Somebody on the other side can't, it's all weird to
them.  Kidder's "Soul" is dead serious all the time, even when he's
drawing out the humor in a situation, if you see what I mean.

Steve