Re: [tlug] Best IME for an "i18n power user" on linux?

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
tl;dr: Has anyone here switched from ibus to fcitx and been delighted
they did so?

I just found some threads from a year ago where the consensus seemed to be:
  fxitx vs. ibus: no compelling reason to go with one or the other, and
both being actively developed.

  mozc vs. anthy: mozc had more fans

  Recent ubuntu/mint are not as good as Ubuntu 10.04 was for IMEs

I'm using ibus+anthy, and sorting out the mess has been regularly pushed
down my todo list for the past year! What mess?

  * The ja/en switch in the IME is global, applying to all windows. So I
can switch from writing an email in Japanese to a bash window and find
myself typing "火t" ("cat") :-(
  (The option to make it per-window existed but apparently a newer
version removed this function!)

  * compose won't work with ibus+anthy. And I couldn't (easily) work out
how to sort out the toggle keys, so when I want to type £ (when I've
recently been typing Japanese), I have to click the あ icon at the top
of the screen, choose "English keyboard", then windows+L followed by hyphen.
   And similar effort when I want to type Japanese and I've recently
used compose.
  (BTW, compose did work inside the en side of the Japanese IME in
Ubuntu 10.04)

I am not an expert, but I can write áéí (using compose keys) and  あえい with anthy, Ubuntu 14.10.
My only issue was the switch shortcut (same as emacs one).

But I suppose few people care emacs today, and those who care will manage this like me :)
This is surely not a blocking point...

I cannot recall exactly, but mozc was a total failure when I tried... fcitx seems a new option...
But I won't try if specific advantages are not given. After all I just want to input French, English, Japanese, and Chinese. And I can do this easily today...

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.