Re: [tlug] [meta] focus, projects, series

Hi Ray,

On 2014年10月14日 14:59, Raymond Wan wrote:
> But, my 2 yen is that talking about other topics should be fine, as
> long as (1) the technical meetings' organizer(s) gave prior approval
> and (2) that the speaker keeps in mind that the general audience is
> interested in Linux and the further the topic is from Linux, more time
> is needed to cover "introductory" material.  And the less chance the
> talk can go deeper.  But that's ok...
>
> While Linux brought us all together, I think it is safe to say that
> there are other topics that would be of interest to a large part of
> the group...

Thank you very much for the input!

I agree that it is best to cover more introductory material the further
the topic is from Linux.  I have tried to do this in the presentations
that I have given that were not Linux related.

> Do you mean starting up and contributing as a group to a software
> project (i.e., on GitHub, etc.) that is related to TLUG's interests or
> do you mean something more physical...more "commercial"?

Long ago, Curt suggested implementing a mailing list manager (like
Mailman) in Haskell, to be released open source.  Curt managed to get a
MVP working, but I think there was very little participation.  (I was
unfortunately unable to participate because I was blocked from
contributing to open source software by contract with my employer.)

Bruce has been the most vocal about projects, and I believe that he is
most interested in physical projects done by partnering with Tokyo
HackerSpace.  I think that he is thinking mostly about projects for fun,
not commercial endeavors.  He wondered if there might be something that we
could work on that would help members during coming times of economic
turmoil, however.

I suggested that Tokyo HackerSpace feel free to contact us if they ever
work on a project that requires a Linux server and wonder if we might assist.

> Too bad I'm not in Tokyo for any of this!  That would be nice to have;
> there is a lot of information on the Internet, but a lot of it is out
> of date.  And someone's blog post might be wrong, but ends up highly
> ranked on Google.  I'm probably old school, but it seems interactions
> with a speaker still can't replace Google.  :-)

There is a chance that I will be leaving Tokyo soon...  If I do, I will
really miss TLUG!

Cheers,

Travis