Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues

On 05/05/2014 12:20 PM, Bruno Raoult wrote:
I know you were joking, me too :)
Actually no -- I'm not entirely joking. Some of upgrades are necessary and make sense but others are marketing. For instance I think both Windows 8 and Unity are an attempt to put the same UI on tablets and everything else and to me that makes little sense.

Ubuntu pumps out upgrades at regular intervals 'cause it makes sense to them. If my system meets my needs and doesn't have any security holes -- why upgrade?

This system runs 12.04 Ubuntu with the Gnome legacy stuff and works just fine. I have another system with Mint Cinnimon 14 (Ubuntu 12.04 underneath I think). I tried 15 and 16 Mint and didn't like either.

You guys were complaining weeks ago about upgrades to Ubuntu 13. I did an install on a separate partition and it went fine and everything seems to work -- but I don't use it except to test the upgrade and see if it's worth doing anything more. I keep it's patches current but that's about it.

Like you -- I'm tired of spending a couple of days every few months upgrading and then a couple of weeks learning the quirks of the new system. I don't upgrade anymore unless there's a really good reason.

Steve S.