Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
As for your system files, you can copy everything in /etc somewhere
and then do a fresh install and copy the files back that differ.
Surely most files don't differ.

I know. This is probably what I will do. I did write a doc on my local LUG about it,
one year ago (http://wiki.rhizomes.org/index.php/Raring_installation_from_scratch).
I should complete it after this failure, as I was not inactive on a system point of view
in one year.

So files, like what's in fail2ban, wouldn't hurt to start from the
beginning with a fresh history of banned IP addresses.

The point is not about banned addresses (fail2ban does not remember them after a reboot).
But I did change the rules for http, etc... Of course, I did many "vi /etc/whatever" in one year,
fail2ban being only one.
But I have daily backups, no problem on this side.

> I have full daily backups, so I will find everything. But having 145
> directories in my home (I use 10 max), not knowing what is useful and for
> what (not speaking about subdirectories, such as .config or .gconf, which
> alone have 615 files (regular I mean, potentially important).

You sound like you're overreacting a bit.  Which I could understand, I
guess.  Calm down and get some sleep.  :-)

Got the point. I breathe... It never hurts :)
My point was: I did not want to spend more time for a simple upgrade (already 2 days lost this time).

It is probably easier to start from a fresh login and copy
useful files over than removing useless files from your own directory.

This is what I do usually. And this is how I understood that cron did not like the same uid, for what I call a stupid reason
(doing a reverse check on name, from uid in /etc/passwd).

Advice?  Seriously...get some sleep before doing anything further!
:-)  With the aforementioned problem I had with my home directory's
settings where I copied my own files over, it took an hour or two.
I'm not sure where you're getting 6 months or 1 year..

Some "special" files are used once a year (for instance tax systems install some - of course you can ask them a new key). Or a software I use 2 times a year, having its own directory.

I am just angry to have to do the same thing every year. After all, there are no differences between 13.10 and 14.04: Just some packages upgrades (and the name). But I don't agree on some choices: Grub upgrade should not prevent people from booting (it was 1 full day for me to recover, I mean 24 hours, the equivalent of 3 working days?). And sound should work better after than before (as it does not work anymore, it is difficult to compare).

Anyway, I will follow your advise: sleep, sleep, sleep, survive with a broken system (the sound being the only major point now), and decide later what to do (a total re-install being eventually the only choice, I think).

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.