Re: [tlug] Pretending to be outside Japan?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 10:20:11AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Scott Robbins writes:
>

> Nobody's necessarily corrupt, given the assumption that accepting
> campaign contributions isn't fundamentally corrupt.[1]  Most such
> behavior can probably be explained by legislators taking money to
> support positions that they don't have a moral opinion on and their
> constituents don't care about.[2]

As Stephen Colbert aptly put it,

> The pundits have asked, is this all some joke?" Colbert said. "And I say, if they are
calling being allowed to form a super PAC and collecting unlimited,
untraceable amounts of money from individuals, unions, and corporations,
and spending that money on political ads and for personal enrichment, and
then surrendering that super PAC to one of my closest friends while I
explore a run for office -- if that is a joke, then they are saying our
entire campaign finance system is a joke!"

> Of course most of them probably are corrupt, in more serious ways,
> given that their salaries are not even close to competitive with
> private sector jobs of similar responsibility.

I've heard it said that one's anger says more about themselves than about
whatever they're angry at--and with our current politicians, I suppose that
I feel betrayed, due to that whole Hope and Change thing that I really
thought would happen.

And, to be perfectly honest, all I can do is complain, without having a
better solution (or anything even close to your level of knowledge on
this, or any brilliant solution to the issue.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6