Re: [tlug] Pretending to be outside Japan?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 03:52:37PM +0900, Darren Cook wrote:

> I'll set a challenge: if anyone can buy an mp3 (documented steps) from
> within Japan in such a way that Amazon have no evidence you are in
> Japan, I'll buy you a beer :-) The kudos you will get will be worth far
> more, of course...

The irony of it is that it loses more sales to piracy.  There are, broadly
speaking, three types of content consumers. The ones who will pirate no
matter what, the ones who will never pirate, and the ones who want to see
their show or hear their music now, and will pay if available, but pirate
otherwise.

For example, Amazon Instant Video doesn't support Linux.  It sometimes can
be gotten to work, but one never knows if the next  upgrade will break it.
Some folks will use hulu plus instead, others buy the DVD, and others will
just download it from some dubious source.

While the young 'uns raging against the machine can be noisy, and reek of
entitlement, in some cases, one has to acknowledge that they have a point.

Darren is probably Internet savy enough to locate said mp3 and just get it,
but morally averse to pirating.  However, 8 out of 10 who want said mp3 are
probably just going to go ahead and find it online and download it
illegally, and in such cases, while not agreeing, one can at least
understand their frustration, remembering their own teens and twenties.

And, to further warn any readers about piracy, I give you this film clip,
which hopefully is under fair use, on youtube, from the tv show, The IT
Crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

--
Scott Robbins