Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

On 14 November 2013 20:04, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "role in the file system", but the time
> stamps (there are four) pertain to various things:
>
>     - the creation of the inode -- should never change
>     - modification of the inode (eg, updating link count)
>     - modification of the file content (more precisely, any write to
>       the file, or change in file size)
>     - access to the file (read content)
>
> A POSIX file system doesn't actually know whether the file has
> changed, only that it has been written to.

Thanks, that was more or less what I meant. The time stamps pertain to
files in the sense of file system objects, not files in the sense of
what a common user would consider constitutes a file, much less any
higher-level inference derived from the contents. Right?

Gah. Is there a file-system equivalent of the OSI model? Discussing
stuff without knowledge of the relevant nomenclature gives me a
headache. Figuratively.