Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> Both on KDE environment, right? As Japanese input works on Ubuntu gnome...

Not on Ubuntu Gnome, but on Ubuntu Unity.  (What are the procedures
you followed for axing Unity and using Gnome instead?)

As has been mentioned regarding some other test results done by
another member of the group, there seems to be a "black magic" factor
in play, where the very same version of the same software works on one
installation, but not on another.

The Japanese install of Ubuntu (with its standard Unity UI) isn't very
badly broken, but still Japanese input doesn't work until you do some
tweaking.  The same tweaking on an English-language install produces
Japanese input in some applications, but not all.  I don't know the
specific programming reasons for this, but this has been my real-world
experience with several installations of recent versions of Kubuntu
(with KDE) and also one Ubuntu installation (with Unity).  (I would
have tested Ubuntu more extensively, but it is unusable on the machine
I wanted to test it on due to it not having (even minimal) support for
the video chip in my computer.)

> Did you try "gnome classic"? This is what I use: It does not uses fancy
> effects, and looks like... hum... classical desktop :-)

I might have actually ended up with that with my recent Debian
installation.  After installing, I got an error message saying it
couldn't load Gnome 4(?) and then it works fine with what looks like a
good, solid old type desktop UI... maybe that's "Gnome classic?

Lyle