Re: [tlug] Japanese and Android tablets like the Nexus 7

2012/12/17 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:
> On 2012-12-17 14:05 +0900 (Mon), Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
>
>> I had the same issue (Japanese input only available if the system
>> language is Japanese) on my stock Nexus 7 after it upgraded to Android
>> 4.2.0.
>>
>> The upgrade to 4.2.1 appears to have resolved this, for me at least.
>
> I'm already running 4.2.1 (it was installed with my first upgrade from
> 4.0 just after I received it last week). I don't know if I had the issue
> before the upgrade, but it's certainly still there now. :-(

For me, the issue definitely occurred following the upgrade from the
originally installed 4.1.x to 4.2.0, which caused me a frustrated 30 minutes
or so tapping around before I gave up. A few days later after the upgrade
to 4.2.1 it magically started working again.

FWIW my "Language and input" settings are:

Language:
  English (United Kingdom)

Keyboad and Input Methods:
  Japanese - iWnn IME

  [checked-but-faded-out] Android keyboard - English (UK)
  [unchecked] Google Korean keyboard
  [unchecked] Google Pinyin
  [checked] Google Voice Typing - Automatic
  [checked] iWnn IME - Japanese

When the keyboard is active, the "globe" symbol to the left of the
space bar switches between English and Japanese input modes.

Ian Lawrence Barwick