Re: [tlug] Linux Web hosting recommendations

On 12/12/2012 08:43 PM, Charles Muller wrote:

I am looking for a Linux-based VPS that allows about 40 GB
(preferably something in the Debian/Ubuntu family). Location can be
here in Japan, as well as in North America or Europe, hopefully in
the range of less than $50 a month.

Most importantly, what we ideally want is a provider that offers a
barebones Linux install as an option. We want to be able to install
our own Apache, Perl, rsync, ssl and BDB, never hit these issues
with cpanel or any similar junk and get to run only what we want,
how we want.

Amazon Web Services is as barebones as it gets. Not sure whether it
will fit your budget (depends on traffic, type of instance, etc..), but if you sign up with a new account you can run the micro
instance free of charge for a year (unless that promotion ended...).
There is an online calculator that lets you estimate costs as well.