Re: [tlug] rewriting a few million lines of Fortran code (was Re: Fortran --> Python (was linux engineer))

On 06/07/2012 08:56 PM, jep200404@example.com wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:57:21 +0900, BALUTA Chris<baluta@example.com>  wrote:

  When I was in graduate
  school (20 years ago...sigh), we had a collaborator from Germany
  who constructed state-of-the-art stellar atmospheres. I asked him how
  big his (fortran) code was. "When I was in grad. school it was a few
  million lines...I haven't counted since then.")  So... Who is going
  to re-write a few million lines of Fortran code into Python? (And why?!)

In this context, the reason for rewriting in a higher level language would be to make it easier to verify and to change. It also makes it easier to separate the low level optimization from the hight level mathematical and algorithmic choices.

Edward