Re: [tlug] linux engineer

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 07:05 +1000, Jim Breen wrote:
> On 6 June 2012 22:56, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:25:43 +1000
> > S Gibson <terryteo@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Bash is a _language_.
> >
> > Unfortunately, all the cool people at CERN and Fermilab speak only
> > broken fortran...
>
> Don't knock Fortran - it was my second language (Algol was first).

That takes me back. I tried to learn Fortran from a book when I was in
high school (around 1965) but with no computer to play with, it was like
trying to learn a foreign language without someone to talk to.

> I have a treasured copy of the first published Fortran manual,
> ca 1954.

I used to have a copy for CP/M on an 8" floppy. I wish I had kept it. It
would have become a collector's item. Most people these days have never
even heard of 8" floppies.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR