Re: [tlug] linux engineer

Nick

Sent from Ubuntu on AA1

On 06/07/2012 07:03 AM, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 07:05 +1000, Jim Breen wrote:
On 6 June 2012 22:56, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:25:43 +1000
S Gibson <terryteo@example.com> wrote:

Bash is a _language_.
Unfortunately, all the cool people at CERN and Fermilab speak only
broken fortran...
Don't knock Fortran - it was my second language (Algol was first).
That takes me back. I tried to learn Fortran from a book when I was in
high school (around 1965) but with no computer to play with, it was like
trying to learn a foreign language without someone to talk to.

I have a treasured copy of the first published Fortran manual,
ca 1954.
I used to have a copy for CP/M on an 8" floppy. I wish I had kept it. It
would have become a collector's item. Most people these days have never
even heard of 8" floppies.

I think we used them on DECs (780? and 783?) in the late '80s. 128 Kb?