Re: [tlug] Disposing of a hard drive: Destroying Platters

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:28,  <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 17:54:19 +0900, Martin G <ebisumartin@example.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I destroy these (hard drive platters)?
>
> Removing the platters from the drive does enough damage from
> one's handling, even if one was not trying to destroy them.
> After one removes the platters from the drive, lay them on
> brushed (rough) concrete and rub them in a circular pattern
> on the concrete. I have always been amazed at people who
> treat their music CDs this way.

I am also amazed, but note that a hard bruised CD (from the bottom
side) can easily be polished and read.
I think you can get a polishing kit in the big electronic stores (and
Akihabara) for a thousand yen or so.

CDs/DVDs have thick protective coating, HDD platters do NOT. So you
cannot polish bruised platters, the magnetic layer is gone.

Kalin.