Re: [tlug] vmware, linux, snapshots

>  > Are there any good vmware options here? Or is running rsync regularly,
>  > to copy from main to backup server, the best choice?
>
> Depending on exactly what the access pattern is like, Coda and Unison
> might be possibilities.  ...
> Coda is a network file system,

Thanks Stephen for the detailed information; I admit I'd not thought of
network file systems. It sounds a bit much for me to suggest (as I won't
be the admin, just the user). BTW, this server will be running a LAMP
application, though possibly using sqlite instead of mysql.

After some shallow study, I don't think there would be an advantage of
unison over rsync for this particular application. [1] was interesting
reading, though, for an example of when it is useful.

I was expecting a reply along the lines of: "Of course windows isn't
better supported in vmware and you can easily take images in linux,
without the most expensive vmware license". As there was no reply
perhaps that is the case after all (and all the linux gurus are using
something other than vmware :-).

Darren

[1]: http://www.darkmercury.net/site/freenas_update_rsync_and_unison/