Re: [tlug] Power Supplies (in Japan and Traveling)

Shmuel Fomberg wrote:

> Well, the router have a non-universal frequency power supply, so I need
> a new one.
> (it clearly says 230V, 50 Hz)

Bummer. At least you have clarity.

> On 2011/02/08 18:28, jep200404@example.com wrote:

> > ... Then if needed, I have a single plug adapter
> > for wherever I am. The plug adapters are the only special equipment
> > I need for each place. Plug adapters are small and cheap.

> This is actually a very good idea. that way you need only one plug adapter.

Yup. (Well actually, one plug adapter per different place).

For Japan, Adapting to a non-polarized plug is preferable
to a polarized plug. Either will work in North America.

> What?! a power supplier for 1 EUR?!

Thrift stores sell used stuff. I am sure you can find a
store or market that has cheap used stuff. The benefit of thrift
stores is cheap prices. The drawback is that they are not
likely to have what you want _when_ you want it (except for
used clothing). Thrift stores are for the patient.
You might not have enough time to find what you want at a
thrift store.

> unfortunately, such stores does not exists where I live now.

You must live in a pretty hoity-toity place.

More important is time. You likely do not have the time to
wait for the right power supply to appear at a thrift store,
so you might have to buy a new power supply. You should be
able to find an appropriate power supply for under €10.

> I guess that I will just have to arrive to Tokyo and find one in Akihabara.

I repeat my admonition to prepare _before_ you go to Japan.
Figuring this stuff out after you arrive can be "challenging",
and you will not be able to use your stuff until you have an
appropriate power supply. It is better to hit the ground running.

Here's a summary of your options:

   1. Buy a cheap used universal power supply before you go.
         (Buy at a thrift store or on the web.)
   2. Buy a new universal power supply before you go.
         Shop on the web. Ask travel agents.
   3. Use the old power supply with a travel adapter.

         (100 VAC to 240 VAC transformer)
         A travel adapter kit (transformer and plug adapters)
         will cost from €20 to €50.

         (You should be able to borrow one of these from
         friends or family)

   4. Buy a universal power supply in Japan.
   5. Buy a 100 VAC 50Hz/60Hz power supply in Japan. (Yuch!)
   6. Leave your old equipment behind,
      and buy new equipment in Japan.
      (Try to get one with a universal power supply.)

You might find some other piece of equipment that has a suitable
power supply that you can borrow from for the duration of travel.

By the way, we have only discussed power supply input.
Your power supply must supply:

   Output Voltage: must be same
   Output Current: must be same or _larger_.
   Connector: must mate
   Polarity (center positive, center negative, or AC): must be same