Re: [tlug] Power Supplies (in Japan and Traveling) (was Re: Importing WiFi equipment)

On 2011/02/08 18:28, jep200404@example.com wrote:

Shmuel Fomberg wrote:

Of course, the power supplier is a problem.

Is it possible to go to Akiba with a power supplier at hand, and find
compatible supplier for the Japanese current?
wife's netbook from last year.) Ten year old wireless routers
almost always came with (non-universal) line frequency power
supplies. There was a change to where most of them come with
SMPS now. My feeling for the 50% change over was about five years
ago. Not all SMPS are universal. Read the fine print.
Well, the router have a non-universal frequency power supply, so I need a new one.
(it clearly says 230V, 50 Hz)

In my travels, I have to deal with 100 VAC, 120 VAC, and 240 VAC.
I also have to deal with both 50 Hz and 60 Hz. In the old days,
I used the travel adapters. Now, I have universal power supplies
for everything. All the plugs are the same style. I plug everything
into an outlet cube or outlet strip (that does _NOT_ have surge
protectors). Then if needed, I have a single plug adapter
for wherever I am. The plug adapters are the only special equipment
I need for each place. Plug adapters are small and cheap.
This is actually a very good idea. that way you need only one plug adapter.

SMPS are also more efficient than power supplies that use line
frequency transformers. So for things that are on all the time,
I started replacing power supplies that use line frequency
transformers. I troll thrift stores for used electronics,
especially universal SMPS wall warts. Small ones are usually less
than €1, and big ones (like for laptops) are usually €2 to €4.
I take a magnifying glass to read the fine print, which can be very
fine indeed.

What?! a power supplier for 1 EUR?!
unfortunately, such stores does not exists where I live now.
I guess that I will just have to arrive to Tokyo and find one in Akihabara.
(can anyone tell me where there is one? every time I'm there I go lost)

Shmuel.