Re: [tlug] Great Git resources

On 2011/02/04, at 16:06, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/11 12:17, Edward Middleton wrote:
>> Raymond Wan wrote:
>>> ... Git seems to me like just a
>>> "different" way of doing things; not necessarily better...
>>>
>>> Any thoughts by you or anyone else?
>>
>> We use git in mostly the same way you would use subversion (i.e.
>> centralized master server).  The benefits that stand out to me are.

Snip

> I see -- thanks!  I don't know if you started off with git
> or switched from subversion, but would you say it is worth
> switching if you're just using it as a centralized master
> server?

For me switching to git has been great. Did so 5 months ago and have not looked back. I used to use SVN, CVS and Perforce. I've moved all of my projects to git.

> I was thinking about switching a month or so ago and never
> switched.  Still keep thinking about it from time to time...

You will never know if it suits you until you give it a go. There are git-to-other-vcs proxies that allow you to use git locally and then push/pull to a centralised non-git repo.

Regards, Keith