Re: [tlug] Suggestions for a smartphone with an SSH client?

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 10:35:13PM +0900, Ian Barwick wrote:

> I will be getting a new company mobile phone which I'd like to be
> able to use for emergency remote administration (browser and SSH
> access). The phone should be able to make and receive phone calls
> of course ;), and email. Other enterprisey features not required.

Also having mostly mail and ssh in mind i used my last phones.

> 1) iPhone or Android?

Didnt see facts relevand to me pushing me to the iphone, quite
the opposite:
- iphone is touchscreen only, i find this usable but less convenient
for using ssh.
- i would like to decise myself on what applications to run on the
hardware i pay for

> 2) If Android, which model?
> The Samsung Galaxy S from Docomo looks like it might
> fit the bill, but that's based on a quick trip through the Docomo
> store.

Maybe the biggest decision for you is with or without keyboard.
The nokia e90 and nokia n900 i used in the past were much nicer
for using ssh.  Since some weeks i use a HTC desire, touchscreen
only, but for me the availability of some other applications is
worth that tradeoff.

I would look for a nice android phone, trying out an ssh-application
on it bevore.  Maybe picking an android with keyboard like the
HTC desire Z.

Christian