Re: [tlug] Wireless digital photo frames

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Jean-Christian Imbeault
<jc.imbeault@example.com> wrote:
> As a Christmas present I'm looking to get my parents a wireless
> digital photo frame. They aren't too tech-savvy so I though something
> wireless that connects to an online web album and can be controlled
> from a browser would be good. [......]
>
> Imagine my surprise when I went to Bic Camera today and was told that
> none of the 100+ models they had on sale had wireless support. [......]
>
> Could anyone recommend a Wireless digital photo frame that hopefully
> is sold in Japan?

Well, first off, there's always the possibility that the person you
talked to has no idea what they were talking about.  Another
possibility is that there were regulatory restrictions regarding the
frequencies or something in some export country, so they dropped it?
Or... it may just be that with 64GB SD cards, they figured "What's the
point?" of having it pick up the pictures from an external device.

Let's see.  I bought one two years ago that I've never used!  Let me
dig it out.  [Digging... Found... Blowing dust off of box...].  It's a
Sony "Canvas Online CP1" and it appears to be able to work wirelessly:

Sony VAIO Wi-Fi Photo Frame (VGF-CP1)

That's the extent of what i know.  Now that this has come up, I'd be
interested in learning if it's really true that they don't market
wireless ones any longer.  If that's the case, it might make more
sense for me to sell the one I have instead of using it (obviously I'm
in no hurry either - my two-year-one is unboxed-new!).  I didn't
consider wireless as something I had any intention of using at the
time I bought it, and if it's something someone wants, I would be
happy buying a new one without wireless, since I'm not going to use it
that way.

Lyle