Re: [tlug] GNOME sucks and nautilus is a PITA

Nguyen Vu Hung writes:
 > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
 > >  > If such a tool ever exists, it will not run under Linux because it does not
 > >  > follow the Unix philosophy.
 > >
 > > Too late!  GNOME already does (run under Linux, I mean).  (Or should I
 > > write, "runs roughshod over"?)
 > This is the way most the GUI is built. A new protocol is born and the very end
 > users demand that I want the developers add a single line into the combox box
 > so that they can use the new protocol.
 >
 > The change request looks simple on the GUI side but not the "backend".
 > In this way, the GUI sooner or later becomes bloated.
 >
 > > Too bad for "the Unix philosophy".  Too bad for all of us.
 >
 > I mean, "the Unix philosophy for software design". It is bad for us as most
 > college and university are poisoning the student with GUI and
 > rapid-software-development tools.

Yup.  What I said, but more interesting. :-)

But, I don't think GUI is bad, per se.  I've grown quite fond of the
Mac GUI over the past few years, and often prefer it to CLI on Macs.

But if (as in GNOME) it were a choice between the GUI and the CLI, it
would be "sayonara! Mac-kun."  The GUI is often the most efficient way
to accomplish simple, non-repetitive tasks, but all too often the CLI
is the *only* way.