Re: [tlug] When is a line feed really a line feed?

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 17:04 +0900, "Edmund Edgar" <lists@example.com>
wrote:
> I've sometimes found I can solve line-return-related problems by doing
> perl -i.bak -pe 's/\n/\n/g' myfile.txt

Furthermore, on my perl 5.10.1, this script does *not* change the line
termination. I tried it on a file with Windows-style CRLF, and it
preserved the CRLF.  This is in keeping with the docs (man perlrun).

One wonders if, as they develop the language (which seems to be
happening at a rapider pace in recent years than before), they are
eliminating some of the more pathological kinds of magic that were never
really intended to work...

Dave